Life is simple on Sint Maarten/Saint Martin. You will think you can't live without certain things only to find out that you can. The lists below are just a suggestion from our experience, any specific questions you have can be answered by your sponsor or on our Facebook page.
The island is mostly casual and can become very hot in the summer. Think about comfort and that you'll probably sweat.
- Summer clothing (shorts, skirts, t-shirts, tank tops, sundresses, swimsuits, coverups)
- Sunglasses, hats
- Workout clothes and running shoes
- Light raincoat, umbrella
- Nice dress/suit & tie for White Coat Ceremony and any other semi-formal events on campus and throughout the island
- Jeans & Sweatshirt/sweater for on campus (A/C is always on there and can be quite cold)
- Flip-flops, sandals, comfortable shoes
- Heels are great for a night out but due to the conditions aren't practical for daily use. Wedges are a great option.
Most major brands of toiletries are available on the island for reasonable prices. We recommend you ask your sponsor if a specific brand is available on the island before bringing a bulk amount.
- Contacts/glasses- There are optometrists on the island but it may be easier to bring your brand of contacts rather than trying to get them here.
- Contact solution can be quite pricey so this may be something to stock up on
- Cosmetics (limited brand availability)
- Special Foods- There is a variety of ethnic and special (gluten free, dairy free, low carb, etc.) foods available on the island but maybe not everything you are used to. Special spices, flours, and other shelf stable items from your culture or adhering to your dietary needs can be brought from home if they are not available here.
- Anything else you want specific brands of
- Sheets/towels, if your place doesn’t provide them- these items are available throughout the island though they are more expensive and of poorer quality on the island. Check with your landlord before arriving.
- Surge Protectors
- Framed pictures and small sentimental items to decorate your new home with
There is no need to purchase new electronics because you are moving to Sint Maarten/Saint Martin. Electronics are widely available on the island for reasonable prices and without tax. Most brands and models (though sometimes not the latest) are available for purchase at one of many electronic stores or on the Facebook classified's pages. For a list of trusted retailers, visit the website of your preferred brand:
- Computers and chargers
- Uninterruptible Power Supply
- Cameras and chargers
- iPods, mini speakers
- Video Game console and games if desired
- Cell phones that are unlocked